Get Adobe Flash player

SCRANTON – A city man lit his house on fire Thursday when he used a blowtorch to melt the ice on his steps, authorities said.

Firefighters responded at 5:10 p.m where a resident had hooked a torch up to a propane tank to thaw concrete steps, Assistant Fire Chief Jeff White said.

The flame overshot the ice, however, and caught the house on fire.

Firefighters had to rip off the siding to extinguish the fire. A moderate amount of smoke filled one apartment of the duplex, which had to be ventilated with fans, Assistant Chief White said.

No one was hurt.

© 2013 Jett and Jahn Media. All Rights Reserved.